Tuesday, January 13, 2009

creepy button eyes

I promised Katherine a blog post, so here's one specially for her.


Neil Gaiman wrote a wonderful book called Coraline; it's the only children's book I've ever read that's given me nightmares.   I still sometimes shiver when I'm all alone and I can feel all the mirrors in my house come alive . . .

Freaky, fabulous book.  Some geniuses, bless them, have turned it into a 3D movie.  It comes out on February 6.  After watching the trailer, I am counting the days.

The movie's made of old school stop-gap whatever and CGI: the entire set is handmade, and everything's itty bitty.  Like, there's a knitter who knits costumes on needles as thick as a human HAIR.  Each 2" high garment takes her between 6 weeks and 6 months to make.  I mean, seriously.  I cringe at anything smaller than a size 5.

The movie's website is a brilliant way to waste some time.  It's visually wonderful, and full of goodies.  There are sweater patterns, free bookmarks, movies about dancing mustaches -- what a perfect mid-week pick-me-up!

And the offline marketing is also excellent.  There are super purty Coraline walls popping up in NYC, Georgetown (I think I need to make a pilgrimage), and Chicago.  The cool gimmicks are the best part, like the cameras that put your face up on the wall as you walk by, but replace your eyes with buttons.  

Yummy. I'm getting freaked out already.



PS: I've repented of my long absence (packing, vacation in Europe, unpacking, packing, vacation in Utah, unpacking, pretending to be a responsible adult).  Now I'm back to blogging for reals.  I swear.

2 comments:

  1. I loved seeing you had a new blog post!!!! More, more, more!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for getting a blog post especially for me! you win lots of points! And, Coraline looks frightfully delightful! I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete